Wednesday, October 27, 2010

How to care for your weave

i love this pic
source: blackgirlsrock

How to care for your weave
This winter I have decided upon two styles weaves and twists as my protective styling options. Currently I am wearing a weave and I really like it. I got a kinky afro weave that I must admit looks really nice. I prefer to protect my hair in winter because it gets so dry when left out. I know many naturals choose to do the same, I have complied some tips that will help you maintain your tresses and also have fun.
It is important that as naturals we pay special attention and care to our scalp and avoid any risks of damaging our natural hair.
Step 1:  Choosing your weave
When I first decided to put in a weave as always I thought about what style would not only compliment my face but something I would enjoy having in. I had done the afro kinky weave once but did not enjoy. I decided to try it once again and do it about above my shoulders. I love it!
Step 2: Synthetic and natural weave
When choosing between the two if you are going for more of a natural look, choose a natural weave. This will also depend on your lifestyle. I prefer to use synthetic hair if I want length on my twist or am doing braids. However, I do not keep my braids in for long as i have notice the chemicals used in these braids irritate my scalp immensely. When I spoke to a few natural ladies they said the same but there are those you have no problem with it.
Step 3: How much are you willing to spend
How much you’re willing to spend will also determine the quality of hair and the look you want to achieve There are many cheap versions that do wonders and give you your desired style. Human hair, specifically Indian Remy can be very expensive. I prefer to use this because I know I will be using it more than once and love the look and feel of it.  
Step 4: Finding a Hairdresser
Finding a hairdresser can take time; look for a knowledgeable hairdresser that specializes in natural hair. I say this because they will be able to care for your natural hair and give you tips and advice you can follow up with and do your own research to have the best results with your hair.
Step 5: Choose a Method to apply the hair
You can apply your weave by using glue, heat fusion, or sewing, braided, and bonded
Braided weave is braided along your scalp and should not be noticeable. Make sure to use heavy weaving thread to have a proper hold on your weave. The number of braided rows depends on your personal preference or your stylist. You want to be able to clean your scalp, manage your weave and stimulate hair growth in the process. Weaves can last a very long time, I tend to leave mind for the most 3weeks to a month. I like being able to deep conditioning, and do all my treatments and I tend to miss my hair.
I do not recommend using adhesive on your hair personally however many do use it. This is done by applying adhesive to the natural hair near the scalp. This can be very harmful to your natural hair, and you may be allergic to some adhesive. Make sure to test any chemical you use before apply to your scalp on a small patch of skin. I would advise you have your bonded weave remove by a professional to avoid and damage. Fusion weaves are done using hot wax, I have not tried this method but this does give your hair a more natural look, because your hair appears to be growing from the scalp.

Step 6: Caring for the weave
Care for your weave as if it is your natural hair. Wash your hair and weave, your weave can become brittle and dry because it is not attached to your head and cannot receive and of the body’s naturally nourishing oils. Our natural hair can also become dry and brittle if it is not washed, conditions and moisturized on a regular basis. Make sure to clean your scalp and deep condition your hair. Be careful if you choose to blow dry and curl your natural weave.

What to know
Always wash your hair and deep conditioning it before apply an extensions to your hair, make sure to pay special care to your ends
Apply your extensions loose not to pull at your edges or cost pre-mature balding
Comb through your weaves using your fingers
Make sure weaves are not too heavy on your scalp
The advantage of having a weave is your ends are protected; chemicals aren’t being used or heat.
Use oil around the braided areas to prevent the hair becoming dry and brittle
If you burn the extensions or cause damage it will remain the same until it is removed or cut.
If you do not care for your weave it will develop split ends, and unmanageable
Weaves can also collect bacteria; it is also a foreign object.
Always check to make sure your hair is not being damage by the weave especially if you want long tresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by....