Monday, September 27, 2010

Comb your Hair (Part 1)



“To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.” – Oscar Wilde

A few weekends ago I spent some time with one of dejavunaturals beautiful ladies and one of my closest friends, as always we talked for a while about our hair experiences. I might also add that she was one of my main encouragements in doing all of this so am forever gracious, as I am enjoying my journey.

It took me quite a while to get around to writing this article because I had to do a lot of searching, asking around, thinking and just taking a step back and looking at the whole picture. Comb your hair? Have you ever had anyone give you that dark comb your hair look? Say to you or tell you to Comb you hair? I must admit at first I laughed when I heard the story. I laughed because I immediately pictured that look.  I do believe that being natural it can really play on your confidence if you have not gotten out of your old mind frame. If you are not confident with who you are I am most certain this would be a hard situation for you to handle as a natural.

I have been natural my whole life, never thought about being anything but natural. It was a personal choice I am glad I choose, with that said; I also did not know how to properly take care of my hair. One of the things I experience and am stilling going through is my self-discovery. I have said to numerous people I learned to love myself, appreciate myself, and love to take care of myself. I want to so much in a way I never knew I would. I took up books, read articles, search the internet, am still creating and experimenting with natural organic products for my hair. I’m Love it!

Over the weekend I thought about how this week was going to start and how can I inspire someone who may be going through this. I learned a long time ago that changing your life is changing your attitude is changing the way you think. Believe it or not if you have a bad attitude towards your hair, someone else will too. Some will regardless of whether you do or not, it is up to you to maintain that love for your hair even if society brings you down. Why hide behind doors expressing your love but not defending your choice to embrace naturally you?

The best answer I can give you is when you make a decision to love yourself, you are making a decision to embrace who you are and come alive. It is here that you take full responsibility for the outcomes of the experiences that you experience in life and allow yourself to shine through.

It is a peculiar sensation, this double-consciousness, this sense of always looking at one’s self through the eyes of others, of measuring one’s soul by the tape of a world that looks on in amused contempt and pity- W.E.B. Du Bois

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by....